Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Personal Post.


This post might be a bit long and maybe a bit disjointed but I just need to write. I apologize in advance if this post is boring or makes no sense. This is more for me than anybody else.

Also, I know I'm personally so tired of reading about the election. I imagine you probably are, too. So my feelings won't be hurt if you don't read this.

The election was Tuesday.

I felt like I was floating through a dream all day and that none of this was real. Somewhere along the way, something happened and we broke off into an alternate timeline. When I wake up, I'll see that Hillary won and order would be restored.

I woke up before the sunrise. I checked my phone, saw the news, and went right back to sleep.

I didn't get out of bed until 1pm that day. Thankfully I didn't have class or work. I spent my morning not checking my phone, not turning on the tv. I just sat in silence, thinking about what this meant.

How are things going to change in our country? What does this mean for me as far as my reproductive health goes? And what about health insurance in general? What message does this send to the men and boys in our country about how to treat women?

And these are just the things that directly impact me. What about immigrants, minorities, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ?

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little scared. But I'm more disheartened than anything. Who knows, maybe Trump will do good things for our country and our economy. There is honestly no telling at this point because he has been such a wild card throughout the whole election.

President Obama said that no matter what happens, the sun will rise tomorrow. And it did. He also that a peaceful transition of power is a staple in our democracy. He called Trump to the Oval Office for a meeting, which from everything I've read went well. Knowing that he is willing to work with Trump in leading our country makes me feel a little safer.

Hillary said Trump deserves our open minds and the chance to lead. The overwhelming message I got from all these speeches is that this is still America. We are still united. We are supposed to stand together and never stop fighting for what we believe in.

We need to answer the overwhelmingly hateful message that Trump has shouted for most of his campaign with love. Responding to hate with more hate is not going to get us anywhere except deeper in trouble.

AND YET. And yet, there is still so much toxicity I hear out of my friends mouths. There are protests in the streets. I hope people soon realize that responding like that out of fear isn't going to change anything.

We need to quit the blaming, quit the hateful talk, and quit the protests. This is our America now, this is what we've gotten ourselves into somehow and now this is what we have to deal with, I guess.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to pull myself up by my bootstraps and never stop working toward the kind of future I want for me and my family.

I'm trying to figure out what the silver lining is here or what lesson I can teach my future children from this. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

P.S. I'm reading things online about how Obama has protected Planned Parenthood for the next 100 years or so. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but if it is true, bless him.

Thanks Obama. Glad to know you got our backs.

If you've gotten this far and read my whole post, thank you. Sometimes writing a stream of consciousness is therapeutic. I really needed to get all of this out of my system away from traditional social media where everyone is reacting so negatively.

Let's make America stronger together again.


No comments:

Post a Comment